Pages

Saturday 12 May 2007

My Sewing

I learned some basics in Brownies, like sewing on a button! Needlework work was part of the primary school timetable and dressmaking at secondary school. Mum was a very keen sewer and went to evening classes - I particularly remember a dark burgundy coloured duffle coat she made me, complete with toggles. I wore that for ages. I learned a lot about dressmaking at home and at school but couldn't take it as an O level subject because it would clash with music - what a waste - something I will always regret. My interest in sewing perked up again when our first child was born. My mother in law bought me my first sewing machine, a Newhome 361, and I made clothes for myself and the children along with bits and pieces for the house.

I bought a Janome Memorycraft 5000 sewing and embroidery machine in 1996 and by that time I had a daughter as well as two sons and little dresses with embroidered motifs kept me busy along with a constant supply of trousers, short and pyjamas for the boys.

As a family present for the millennium, we bought a computer - that opened up a new world of sewing. I stumbled on pattern drafting software whilst visiting sewing sites and bought Wild Ginger Pattern Master Boutique for myself and WG PM Child's Play for the children in 2000. http://www.wildginger.com/ I was pretty prolific sewing for the children once I was up and running with the software. Through the internet I met up with other UK users of this software and set up a UK Users Email list - still going strong 7 years later, though we no longer only talk about Wild Ginger software, more a general UK sewing list with any pattern software thrown in when folks want to talk about it. http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/UKSewing/ I've since bought WG PM Curves and Tailor Made, but have not really used them much - there's never enough time to do everything I want to do.

A Bernina 1100D joined my machines next - what a difference that made to putting the children's clothes together - fantastic - why did I wait so long - just remembered why - they cost a lot of money <>!! Really got into making bedding as well with the overlocker - great sheeting and curtaining fabrics from Croft Mill so we all had a very co-ordinated look. I think it's time for some more - Tim's has worn out, that was a Geoff Banks fabric, but Jon and Rachelle's are fine, but it's time for a change.

Last month my fourth machine arrived. Went to Sewing for Pleasure at the NEC on 31 March, with no intention of buying anything much. Anyway, after a couple of demos, first at the Brother stand, then Janome, DH said I could have the Janome Memorycraft 4900QC as my 50th birthday present (not 'til December, but shop early for Christmas and all that........). I love it. It has lots of stitches, is easy to understand (probably because I already have a Memcraft machine), stitch quality is excellent - auto tension which I have not had before is great. I could go on, and on, and on, but won't. It's wonderful!!! http://www.janome.co.uk/products/MC4900QC.php

No comments: